Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dialogical Art

I found it interesting to read Kester's introduction to his book, mostly because it made me curious to find out more about what he defines as Dialogical art. What kind of arguments does he use to counter-balance what he calls the traditionalist view of art critics? Does he put forth a single definition that encompasses all 'Dialogical art'?
For an artwork to appeal or speak to me, it still has to be object based, so I have a hard time relating to any of this RA/SI/Dialogical Art business, but Kester's text did make me want to find out more about the field of Dialogical art.
What I did find interesting about the artists and collectives that Kester speaks about is that even if I have a hard time seeing their work as art, it seems that having artists work on social or political issues might offer a new perspective, that politicians, social workers, law enforcement etc., might not see. What I am trying to say (albeit inarticulately), is that since artists are commonly seen as people who have a different or unique perspective of the world, maybe getting them to think about key social, political or environmental issues can reveal a new or unconventional way to deal with or approach these issues, regardless of whether or not the outcome is labeled art or socio-political activism.

No comments:

Post a Comment