Claire Bishop talks about 4 artists in her essay:
Rirkrit - the guy who cooks for everyone
Gillick - the guy who alludes to hypothetical relations
Sierra - the guy who pays people to make his art happen
Hirschhorn - the guy who uses cheap material like cardboard and brown tape
Bishop mentions Sierra and Hirschhorn as examples to challenge Bourriaud's two guys; Rirkrit and Gillick. I found Rirkrit and Sierra most interesting.
While reading about Rirkrit's work I felt sort of warm and happy, and wishing I had been part of these hybrid installation performances described by Bishop. I don't know how to respond if someone asked me if this was art or not. Being a printmedia student and having always/usually producing an end screenprint/etching/lithograph/woodblock print etc I find it difficult to wrap my head and fully accept something like this. BUT having read Bourriaud's Relational Aesthetics and this piece of writing by Bishop I'm starting to see something more in all this cooking done by Rirkrit. I have a feeling though that I might be taking a liking to Rirkrit's work simply because he is cooking for everyone and creating a relaxed atmosphere where people can enjoy his food and meet other people. Although most people I believe enjoy the idea of being part of the making of a work eg. Spencer Tunick's work seems to always bring out a large number of participants. There is this good feeling inside you when you knowyou've helped an ARTIST in creating their work no matter how big or small your contribution is, and it doesn't bother you that you are NOT getting paid for it. This is where I start to find Sierra's work interesting as he pays people to help execute his idea. Not only is he paying them, but he usually specifies a certain type of person/s. Bishop also notes in her writing that Sierra himself is being paid to do these works by his galleries, dealer and collectors. This makes me think back to Spencer Tunicks work and the many many people who have stripped down naked for him so that he could become as well known as he is now.
No comments:
Post a Comment