Sunday, October 24, 2010

last post...remembrance day.

Overall I have found this class enjoyable. However, call me naïve but I prefer reading about and looking at art that is aesthetically pleasing. Although I did feel that areas of ‘Social Relations and Critical Spaces’ was theoretically stimulating, there was a severe lack of art world eye candy. Highlights were Claire Bishop’s ‘Antagonism and Relational Aesthetics’, Grant Kester’s ‘Conversation Pieces’ and learning about Laibach. Despite the visual banality of various works we have looked at in this class, I have probably become slightly more open-minded with regards to what I feel constitutes as art (I know this is a very general statement as I’m aware that the class wasn’t just about art or what is considered as art- I just thought I’d mention a new personal acknowledgement). Highlighted even more so by attending this class was the unavoidable pretense of the art world and the people in it. This left me to ask the same question that haunts me so often, why the fuck am I at art school? (But now I probably seem pretentious right?....ahh vicious cycle).

No comments:

Post a Comment