Sunday, October 24, 2010

I LOVE ART....do you?


I have to admit that this course has challenged me.
The readings, the content and the connection to art has left me feeling estranged from many elements of my own art making.
I have difficulties accepting some parts of the course, and how we can accept void declarations of art.. whether we like it/dislike it/understand it/ or accept it wholly....

Although in saying this i have learnt a lot from the many readings and classes. i have been challenged in my own perspective of where art stands.
I guess my frustration lies in believing we are still creating art, writing about art and giving it to the world for a reason or purpose, if not to shock or comment. where does the talent lie if any at all.
Who can be the artist?
The dreaded question of "what is art?" something so unavoidable, it hurts my hands to type it, and hurts my ears to hear it... but there is truth in the matter, if we are all critiques to this world of art making, and believing, then we cant deny it.
I feel that we are all at uni, learning this stuff, maybe to take it on board, or maybe to reject it from our practice... i have questioned the importance of art college, where i stand as a student and what have you.... but in all honesty i still call myself an artist, whether the system tells me otherwise... and so we are ALL ARTISTS, in whatever we do...
whether its planting a garden, painting or photographing, building a sculpture or tearing one down while video documenting it... we all have our niche our own special talent.

thanks for the semester caleb!



No comments:

Post a Comment