I've been thinking and reading a lot about art as activism lately. I've been really inspired by artists such as Suzanne Lacy, Group Material and Proceso Pentagono.
These are all artists working in pretty different ways but who are interested in art beyond authorship. They are interested in art which is about and for communities. Art which seeks to address social inequalities, transgress the borders of 'art', bring knowledge and power to people.
Group Material were a collective in the 70's and 80's who were doing quite radical things for their time, and I would argue still now. They worked from an institutional critique perspective and were very big on manifesto's.. but these weren't just manifesto's but letters to the community. Very honest and direct letters not only about their thoughts, aims, goals, and political beliefs.. but also about their reflections on mistakes. They had an alternaitve artist run gallery in New York which sounds like they still acheived some pretty great things, but they felt they were too tied up in the bureacracy that is the art world, and not really able to connect with the community, and had so fallen into the trap of what theywere crtiquing . So they went more public space art gallery,which I personally find really great. I think the opportunities for public art works to capture and engage people politically, as human beings, is so vast.
But I really like about the kind of practice that they engage in is one which aims to not only move away from authorship, but in a real and concrete way,ego. A collective that admit when they make mistakes. Something which I think artists are so scared to do. But what makes this act so political and powerful is that it makes them vulnerable and suggests it's safe for others to do the same, and this is when real connections are enabled.
i ordered a book on Group Material... but it hasn't arrived. keep an eye out for it
ReplyDeletesweeet! thanks for letting me know!
ReplyDelete