
Laibach is predominantly a musical group which has been discussed, although I thought I’d research further into the group, and I discovered the group works in other media including visual art. The group formed a visual artwork under the name of Laibach Kunst, which represented the group’s visual imagery as a band, as a way to advertise their façade. The imagery of the cross became their iconic symbol as a band, after artworks ‘Kreuzschach’ and ‘MB 84 Memorandum’.
‘MB 84 Memorandum’ is an important artwork to laibach as the cross imagery emphasizes continual repetition, and the importance of context to meaning. Although Laibach do not refer to the concept of music in their artworks, I can almost see music in their visuals, with their use of repetition. Laibach now incorporate their music with artworks as they work in other mediums including sound events, performances, and sound installations, such as ‘Oscillations - 30 days of sound’.
No comments:
Post a Comment