"Intersubjective encounters" re: d' Espagnat's theory of Entanglement.
An eternal void?
Rather than the artwork being an encounter between a viewer and an object, relational art produces intersubjective encounters. Through these encounters, meaning is elaborated collectively, rather than in the space of individual consumption [1].
The constitutive element of Relational Art evidenced in the social interaction dynamic leads me to consider d' Espagnat's work focusing on the theory of Entanglement.
His theory states: Once two particles have interacted, they remain bound in a powerful yet inexplicable way. If something happens to one particle, the other instantly feels the effects of that event. The particles are forever entangled, each one's existence bound to that of the other. I found this interesting when one considers the "importance of the "rendez-vous" represented by the artistic arena, and which forms its relational dimension." [2] The mystery of entanglement leads us to a veiled reality, much like in Art. I think it is important to consider that each society clings to a myth by which it lives in terms of a collective experience. [Aspirational media tropes, anyone?] "I am not a concept!" sighs hipster Clementine, [Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind.]
If Relational Art is something encompassing our collective experience, does it make the gray- The colour of existential wandering more bearable?
Is that even possible? I just feel like society is becoming increasingly disengaged and vacuous, and we are living in an era of generalised nihilism.
[1]- Bourriaud pp.17-18
[2]- Bourriaud pp. 30
No comments:
Post a Comment